Check out our answers to some common questions below, and if you have any additional questions, please contact us.
Employment Eligibility related questions:
- What is the Form I-9 and why do I need it?
- What does 'Employment Eligibility' mean?
- I already run background checks on my new hires, isn't that the same thing as Employment Eligibility Verification (EEV)?
- Is the Form I-9 important to small business owners like myself?
- What are the chances I'll be targeted for a Form I-9 audit?
- How much can it cost my business if I don't fill out my Form I-9s correctly?
- What government agencies are affiliated with the Form I-9 and how can I contact them?
- IRCA, INS, DHS... What do all of these abbreviations stand for?
- Why is i9 Advantage better than the E-Verify Program alone?
Technical & support related questions:
- What will I need to run i9 Advantage on my computer?
- How do I start?
- How do I log into my account?
- I can't remember/lost my Username or Password.
- I have a billing or account related question not answered in this FAQ
Employment Eligibility related answers:
1. What is the Form I-9 and why do I need it?
The Immigration Reform and Control Act (I.R.C.A.) requires all U.S. employers to verify all their employees are legally allowed to work in the U.S. This verification is done via the Department of Homeland Security Employment Eligibility Verification Form (known as the Form I-9).
For a .pdf version of the Form I-9 click here.
2. What does 'Employment Eligibility' mean?
Employment Eligibility is the term generally used to describe the process of determining if a employee/worker being hired has a legal right to work. In other words, proving an employee's Employment Eligibility will show that they are not an Illegal Immigrant, and will allow your company to operate within U.S. Immigration Law.
3. I already run background checks on my new hires, isn't that the same thing as employment verification?
No! A background check with a Social Security Number will only show whether or not that Social Security Number matches the Employee's name. It absolutely does not prove whether or not the employee is Work Authorized in the United States. Only an Employment Eligibility Verification check can determine Work Authorization status.
5. What are the chances I'll be targeted for a Form I-9 audit?
You may think only the big guys get targeted for Audits. The truth is, “ICE” has significantly increased its reach and increased the scope of investigations of the enforcement arm, or in other words, increase audits.
The number of individuals arrested on administrative immigration violations in work site enforcement cases has grown from 485 in 2002, the last full year under the old INS, to 3,667 during 2006 under ICE.
6. How much can it cost my business if I don't fill out my I-9 Forms correctly?
It depends. Penalties range from $275 to $11,000 depending on the number of offenses and the date the employee was hired. Keep in mind these penalties are not just limited to employees, but also covers contract employees known to be unauthorized to work in the U.S.
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Department of Homeland Security
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
8. I.R.C.A., I.N.S., D.H.S... What do all of these abbreviations stand for?
So you want to learn how to "talk the talk" at the water cooler? Here's everything you'll need to know to be the "In Person" when it comes to I-9.
- IRCA = Immigration Reform and Control Act (of 1986)
- INS = Immigration and Naturalization Service
- DHS = Department of Homeland Security
- ICE = Immigration and Custom's Enforcement
- CAP = Criminal Alien Program
- NFOP = National Fugitive Operations Program
- IBFU = Identity and Benefit Fraud
- IBFU = Identity and Benefit Fraud
- TNC = Tentative Non-Confirmation
- USCIS = United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
9. Why is i9 Advantage better than a Paper Based or E-Verify Program alone?
The government's E-Verify Program only cross checks social security numbers with the government database and the department of homeland security. It does not protect you from costly government audit procedures, validate your form information, and can take months to integrate into your HR hiring procedures. Also, when you're done using the E-Verify Program you're still stuck with a paper form to retain (no online searchable storage).
If the government audits your company they WILL NOT accept paper forms for medium and large companies, so you would end up having to scan every form into a digital format, name every file, and turn it all in within a 72 hour period to the auditors.
i9 Advantage takes all of the work out of connecting to and dealing with the E-Verify system, and will electronically store your I-9 Forms, remind you when forms are expiring, validate and verify each form, as well as help you manage government audits.
Technical & support related answers:
1. What will I need to run i9 Advantage on my computer?
You will need a computer with mouse and keyboard, and connection to the Internet. We recommend Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or above for running i9 Advantage.
2. How do I start?
Please call a sales representative at 800.724.8546 or click here to request a demo of our system.
3. How do I log into my account?
Click here to go to the Login page. Then enter your username (email address) and password and click submit.
4. I can't remember/lost my password.
Click here to go to the Login page. Then click the "Forgot Password" link. This will allow you to reset your password, but only if you remember your username. If you forgot your username (which is your email address), please contact us.
5. I have a billing or account related question not answered in this FAQ.
Please contact us regarding any additional questions.